Days numbered for historic Royal Canadian Legion Building in downtown Saskatoon; demolition permit issued May 23, 2007
The days appear numbered for the historic former Royal Canadian Legion, Branch #63, building in downtown Saskatoon. Fencing was recently put up around the property located at 315 19th Street East. According to the City of Saskatoon's Building Standards Branch a demolition permit was issued to owner and developer Remai Ventures Inc. on May 23, 2007. The Building Inspector will be visiting the site later this week to see if work has commenced.
Designed by prominent Saskatoon architect David Webster the hall was built in 1929 by local veterans of the First World War and is the last remaining piece of built heritage in the city's historic South Downtown. The property was sold to Remai Ventures in February 2006 for a reported $1-million to help make way for a luxury spa hotel on the adjacent Gathercole Site, which the developer also owned. The idea, however, collapsed earlier this year when Remai cancelled its plans for the proposed development. Ownership of the Gathercole land reverted back to the City of Saskatoon.
Remai has not revealed its plans for the former Legion Building site.
(Photos by Joe Kuchta - June 5, 2007)